Re: [OM] House on High Street

Subject: Re: [OM] House on High Street
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 18:21:10 +0000
You're welcome, Bob. I first heard about that bit of Indiana history from
an Indiana native I served with in the Navy. And now you've taught me
something, as I had no idea about Union sympathizers in North Carolina. So
thanks to you as well.

Not likely there'd be much *intelligent* discussion of history and heritage
if we showed up and asked, I'd bet. :-)

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 10:14 AM Bob Whitmire <fujixbob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Damn if you don't learn something every day! Thanks. Reminds me that I was
> in my 30s before I learned that a fair number of folks in my part of
> western North Carolina were Union sympathizers. Their remnants, in my
> youth, were the few Republicans that existed in North Carolina. (They were
> known as ridge Republicans, and held in contempt.) All of that has changed
> now with the massive infusion of yankee Republicans into the state. (Other
> factors as well, but this isn't the place.) All of that said, I'll wager if
> we wandered up to the door, the flyer of those flags, if honest, wouldn't
> be talking about history and heritage. <g>
>
> --Bob Whitmire
> Certified Neanderthal
>

> On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 10:06 AM, Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > Agreed, Bob. However, still somewhat unsurprising in Indiana, considering
> > that portions of Indiana were considerably influenced by the South,
> > especially in the central and southern portions of the state, which had
> > been largely settled by people from Virginia and Kentucky. During the
> Civil
> > War, there was considerable sympathy for the Confederacy in those areas.
> > Also, in the early part of the 20th century, the Indiana Klan, which had
> > broken away from the main body of the KKK, had some 250,000 members. The
> > Klan mostly faded after many scandals in the late 20s. The organization
> may
> > be gone, but (unsuccessful) attempts to reorganize it in Indiana in the
> 60s
> > and 70s, would indicate that some with strong sentiments remain.
> >
> --
>
> --
---
Scott