Re: [OM] Photographing While Fat

Subject: Re: [OM] Photographing While Fat
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 14:15:55 -0800
Sometimes I worry about that, too. But then I look at "Dilbert," which has been satirizing the idiocies and injustices of the corporate workplace for years. People are constantly posting and sharing Dilbert cartoons at work, nothing changes, and usually, management ignores it. I read in a business publication years ago that "they" had found that allowing Dilbert in the workplace acts as a safety valve, dissipating anger that might otherwise spur people to take action. In other words, even though the cartoons might annoy the bosses, it was in their interest to allow them.

This is probably why "letters to the editor" and "sound off" forums exist, too.

When it comes to "fat shaming" and the like, I think it's just the equivalent of the mean girls and the school bullies in the hallway. The Internet amplifies them, but the same dynamic is involved. It may be hell for the targets of their nastiness, but I don't think it's a global threat.

Where it gets dangerous is with true hate groups and their well-organized propaganda campaigns. The Internet gives them a tool to organize, recruit and coordinate, and to build up a critical mass of followers independent of geography. This includes some of the nice folks in the news lately, both foreign and domestic.

--Peter