Re: [OM] Where's the V4.0 firmware upgrade for the E-M?

Subject: Re: [OM] Where's the V4.0 firmware upgrade for the E-M?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 10:21:49 -0600
> Geez, quit whining.  I use a 3GS on iOS 6 (jailbroken, of course) and it
> still works fine for basically anything I want to do with it, within the
> limits of the device and the iOS.

Jailbroken, of course. I'll probably go that route myself, but...

> When was the last time anything from any other competing manufacturer even
> had as much support as anything Apple has made?  Are ancient  android phones
> getting updates? Clearly not. Most aren’t compatible with any updates after
> what they ship with.

Irrelevant. There is a difference between supporting a device and
bricking a device. The photographic equivalent is Polaroid and Kodak
both creating matched film and camera combinations and then
discontinuing the format after you've bought the camera.

There are a couple of things I use the iPAD for a lot. I use it for
iTunesU and Podcasts, Youtube videos, and the screen extension off of
my desktop computer. But I can't upgrade to Windows 10 without losing
the app. Fair enough. But the point is that it's slowly dying through
forced shutdown of the features.

You bring up Android as the comparative. It does depend a lot on the
specific device, but I am still using archaic Android devices for
various applications. They've lost general usability, because of the
slow processors and limited memory, but they are great for specific
functions like television remote controls, darkroom timers, dashcams,
music players, etc. I can't even download or purchase ANY comparative
app for my iPad now.

Would you rather spend the same amount of money on an Apple iWatch or
on a quality time piece from Omega, Longines or Tag Heuer? Personally,
I'd rather put my money on the quality time piece. It might have less
features today, but it will still have value tomorrow.

I got my daughters the latest/greatest Apple iPhone 6s for each of
them. They absolutely love them for what the phones do well, but
repeatedly run into issues with them because they're trying to do
stuff with the phones that the phones won't do. As Android users for
the past several years, they've gotten accustomed to certain apps,
functions and features that Apple says "no soup for you".

AG