Re: [OM] Hunt show

Subject: Re: [OM] Hunt show
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 20:42:40 -0800
Chris writes:
I think that I still prefer a Billingham:..I see your point.  I have not
checked whether it can be turned into something better for hiking our back like
the PD bag.

Just for me ... I've tried a true camera backpack. I looked seriously at one time at a series (LowePro?) that hung on one's back, but opened on the body side. They could be unhooked from shoulders and pulled around in front, leaving the waist strap to hold it on. Then the contents were right there when opened. Alternately, if laid on the ground and opened, and dirt, mud, whatever, would be on the outside, not on the straps. IN the end, after trying them on, I decided they were too complex and gimmicky for actual use.

I was fooled by single strap sling bags. After trying a few, I bought one, but never really liked actually using it. I've decided, especially with the smaller size and weight of a µ4/3 kit, that as far as I'm comfortable going is slinging the strap of a regular bag over my head, onto the opposite shoulder, and slipping it around back. But see below ...

Moose has a point about the "steal me" elegant look--flat black think tank does
not.

I'm not sure the PD screams camera bag, but it does suggest something valuable
inside.

Appreciate Chuck clarifying how it hold the 'pod but would need to try it to
see how cumbersome it was.

I think I've solved that problem. :-)

Would't buy any bag w/o trying it and still make suboptimal decisions.

Hunt show  featured a myriad of new fangled straps.  I thought one might be
better for Moose than two cams around his neck and better for me chasing
critters with cam/lenses binocs, but they are hard to figure out.

I long ago got a strap set up to hold two cameras, one above the other, with individual straps long enough to reach up to one's eyes. Didn't work for me. I've also used a strap for single camera that takes the load off the neck. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Miscellaneous/Images&image=IMG_1277ptlcrni.jpg> And <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/Misc&image=camera_harnessweb.jpg>

This works really well for a big heavy camera/lens, resting on one's abdomen and raising very easily to eye level. I just haven't needed such a thing since being able to move to small cameras.

The truth is that the pair of OMDs around my neck just aren't uncomfortable, don't give me a stiff/sore neck, and are really always at hand. As you've seen, I often switch back and forth between them rapidly. My only problem has been keeping them from banging into each other all the time. I'd been keeping a hand always on one. But I recently made a discovery. If I swing my new bag forward, with the taller end in front, the top and strap act as a barrier, keeping the cameras separate and leaving both hands free.

I do have a pair of excellent small binoculars in the lens and accessory bag, and have worn them along with two cameras. It works because they are very small and light. But I found I hardly used them. The 75-300 is my 'scope. Less resolution through the VF than the binocs, but considerably more on the LCD after a shot. I've been known to take a shot, then view it on the LCD with magnification, not for photographic purposes, but to see/ID something far away, sometimes to satisfy Carol's curiosity about something seen through her binocs.

The designer of BosStrap was at the show and recommended this item for cam on
side and binocs around neck:
http://bosstrap.com/shop/bosstrap-side-slide-camera-strap/

(no she wasn't there, darn)
Not sure I like a cam hanging on one lug.

I just don't like that design, one lug or not. A camera or cameras hanging down that low at my side is/are going to spend may too much time banging against things, or I'm going to spend way too much time pulling them up out of harm's way. Think about walking some of the trails we've walked together, through trees, boulders and shrubs, with that set-up.

Still lookin, Mike

Good luck! Maybe you should be looking in my gear closet! :-)

Baggy Moose