Re: [OM] Selfie Sticks

Subject: Re: [OM] Selfie Sticks
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 10:01:08 -0600
> Got one for my 6s Plus. Fits like a charm. Do you leave the Otterbox
> transparent protector over the camera lens?

My Otterbox does not cover the camera lens itself, but forms a pretty
tight seal right around it. The only places that are not covered are
the speakers, microphones and camera lenses. Everything else is either
fully protected or sealed against splash intrusions. It's the
biggest/baddest one that has the belt-clip self-standing cover that
gives it all sorts of odd utility purpose.

The Selfie-stick is the ProMaster 6168. The big problem with almost
all camera clamps and selfie-sticks is that they won't fit the larger
phones or phablets. Without exception, IF they worked, I had to remove
the rubber cover off the Otterbox. The Otterbox I have is actually
three layers. The phone is housed inside a hard plastic shell with an
isolating rubberized inner liner. Then there is a rubber cover that
goes around the whole thing. You can drop it and the shell absorbs the
impact and any deformation of the hard plastic shell is further
isolated from the phone itself. In the two years I've had this thing,
it has tried to commit suicide many times to no avail. Even the
integrated plastic screen cover has held up extremely well.

So, anyway, the 6168 not only is able to spread the jaws wide enough,
but the clamping surfaces are deep enough to allow for the extra
thickness of the Otterbox.

As the phone clamp mechanism is detachable from the stick portion, it
mounts on any standard tripod or QR plate.

LOL, DD#2 is having a field day with the stick right now.

AG