Re: [OM] [OT] Anyone running a subwoofer with a wireless adapter?

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Anyone running a subwoofer with a wireless adapter?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 15:52:03 -0500
Chuck,

The latency is an issue unless you have a system that allows you to
assign a delay to your channels. I've got one that does that and I can
assign a delay to the surrounds as well as the mains. Not sure mine
does the center channel. I'd have to look. The dirty little secret is
that our own home entertainment system is NOT surround and we use Bose
speakers which have their own subwoofer module. No need for anything
beefier than that for our house. I can rattle the concrete foundation
as it is. For the studio midfields, I again do not use a subwoofer,
although things do get interesting if our daughter's bass amp is added
in.

The 2.4GHz interference is a real issue. I've got two 2.4GHz hotspots,
a 2.4GHz phone, a computer monitor and audio transmitter going, as
well as interference from the Microwave oven.

Fortunately, the wireless alarm system operates in another band.

So, all that said...

I would get a wireless audio transmitter system that operates on all
of the channels. Those have the latency adjusted for everything to
match. Most of those allow you to dump out of your stereo into the
device and back into it again.

AG

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 3:21 PM, Chuck Norcutt
<chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm going to have to move my 10" subwoofer from the front of the room to the
> rear.  I can do it but running a wire through the wall will be a pain.
> Since subwoofers normally supply their own power I figured there might be
> wireless adapters that could send the signal.
>
> There are... lots of them on Amazon.  However, reading the reviews on some
> of these things is disappointing.  There are a fair number or complaints
> about long latency time such that the bass is (audibly) not sync'd with the
> rest of the audio.  Also quite a few complaints about interference from/to
> routers using the 2.4GHz band.
>
> Anyone out there using one of these things without problems?
>
> Thanks,
> Chuck Norcutt
> --

Ken Norton