Re: [OM] Retro Fun

Subject: Re: [OM] Retro Fun
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:58:19 -0400
On 10/23/2015 10:41 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
It does remind me of the simpler times of photography. No need to be
anal about so many things. Just set the controls and don't worry about
it. Zone focus and shoot.

Those are indeed interesting cameras. I've thought more tan once about getting one. OTOH, I seem to be less than impressive at guesstimated focus. My only relatively recent experience at that has been with a Rollei 35 and it, I or some combination of us didn't nail focus very well.

My carry anywhere film 35 would still be the XA. I still don't like rangefinder
focus, but prefer it to none. :-)

Is it a replacement for an OM or digital dohickey? Of course not. But
it serves a purpose and is a nice psychological anchor in photography.
I never realized how much I labor over inconsequential things in
photography without this baseline camera. Automation is supposed to
help us. The reality is that I spend more effort setting, defeating
and verifying the automation than I do not using any automation at
all. It's like my old Yashica GSN, which was a fantastic camera with
an outstanding auto-exposure system that I spent more effort trying to
defeat than use.

Moose, I said "I" not "we" or "you".

Very nicely done! But now what am I to whine about?

New Horizons Moose