[OM] Retro Fun

Subject: [OM] Retro Fun
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 09:41:28 -0500
So, I've been having fun with an old camera. I had been gifted (or
maybe it was in one of my $20 box-o-bits purchases) a Kodak Retina 1a.
It is a remarkably nice camera with an excellent lens. It had been
serviced at some point along the way so the shutter is in great
condition with no sticking.

It's been living in the compartment in the driver's door of the X5 for
a while now. I've enjoyed using it and it will probably stay there as
my film-camera-always-present item.

It does remind me of the simpler times of photography. No need to be
anal about so many things. Just set the controls and don't worry about
it. Zone focus and shoot.

Is it a replacement for an OM or digital dohickey? Of course not. But
it serves a purpose and is a nice psychological anchor in photography.
I never realized how much I labor over inconsequential things in
photography without this baseline camera. Automation is supposed to
help us. The reality is that I spend more effort setting, defeating
and verifying the automation than I do not using any automation at
all. It's like my old Yashica GSN, which was a fantastic camera with
an outstanding auto-exposure system that I spent more effort trying to
defeat than use.

Moose, I said "I" not "we" or "you".

--
Ken Norton