Re: [OM] OT . The Tin Triangle

Subject: Re: [OM] OT . The Tin Triangle
From: ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 05:46:46 +0100
I was on its route as well, John.  I drove a couple of miles to a place called
Hatley, but the crew must have deviated from the planned track for some reason
and it was about a mile away.  It was amazing how many people had decided that
they wanted to see it; was your vantage point crowded?

I was talking to some of the people present about this being its last season
and the reason is a little more complex, it seems.  The present companies
responsible as “design authority” have been taking the risk for its
airworthiness: BAe Systems and Marshall’s, I believe.  But those companies are
no longer willing to accept the risk to extend its life further, quite
reasonably in my view.

The machine is iconic of the Cold War, certainly, but it’s a dreadful waste of
energy to keep it flying  And it was an awful machine to operate (as a pilot)
during my early career and I was very lucky that I was posted fast jet and flew
Jaguars on my first tour.  Going Vulcans would have been a ghastly posting –
the way I saw it then, at least.  The term “Vulcan co-pilot” was something of
an insult by that time, whether or not that was fair.

Finally, I used a Zuiko for the experience.  I fitted my old and beaten-iup
200/4 to my Fuji XT-1 but the aircraft was too far away for it to be of any
use.  And when I cropped the shot there seems to have been a bit of fringing
and it doesn’t look good.  There went my plans for posting a Zuiko shot for the
Olympus List!

Chris