Re: [OM] M240 as Scanner

Subject: Re: [OM] M240 as Scanner
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 14:56:58 -0400
For a direct comparison to how you're doing I'd suggest picking about 3 slides with different subject material but high contrast (for focusing). But pick these slides from those you have already scanned.

Then try out your M240 "scanner" and see how closely you can replicate what the LS5000 has already done. If you shoot at f/11 you may have as little as 1mm depth of field or 2mm at f/16. Remember that you have to capture the depth of the curvature of the film.

Examine the slides/film and see if the film curvature is fairly constant between different images. If so you should be able to pick one very high contrast image specifically chosen to make focusing easier. Use manual focus, get it as good as you can one time and then leave it alone.

Scan several slides at f/11 and f/16 and see how they compare with the LS5000 images. You make the decision based on direct comparison.

You could use f/22 or f/32 to improve the depth of field and (maybe) focus but you'd be well into diffraction territory there with reduced resolution.

Chuck Norcutt