Re: [OM] Eneloops R Us

Subject: Re: [OM] Eneloops R Us
From: <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 09:58:11 +0000 (UTC)
Lots of people now make "LSD" (low self discharge or precharged) batteries,
some (like the Eneloops) are lower self discharge than others (!) and most have
worse high rate capability. In general, high rate capable cells have lower
capacity.  High rate capability really helps for flash use, the internal
resistance of the Eneloops is very low.
The Eneloops are a bit heavier than some of the others. They use a rare earth
aditive in the Eneloops, which does not seem to be the case for some of the
others. That may also explain slightly higher cost and weight.

I have used LSD Tenergy brand cells, they are not as high rate but otherwise
work well.
In particular I like the small 9V Tenergy rectangular batteries.Before Eneloops
came out, some of Tenergy's regular NimH cells were already much lower self
discharge than other brands,even though they made no claims.
Tim Hughes