Re: [OM] IMG: Gulf Fritillary

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Gulf Fritillary
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 16:36:49 -0500
Nice touch, Moose.  I will try to keep that in mind next time.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 8/26/2015 4:16 PM, Moose wrote:
On 8/26/2015 12:38 PM, ChrisB wrote:
It’s a lovely creature, Jim, but the photo looks strangely two-dimensional to my eyes. Perhaps it’s the shallow depth of field, but also the colour of the wings looks a little flat. Have you sharpened it or something, perhaps going a little far?

I believe what you are seeing is that old bugbear of Moose's, blown red channel. Subtle differences of colour and brightness that form the texture of the surface all become the visually same colour and brightness, with the result of a flat looking, undifferentiated surface. The histogram here shows a huge spike at the top.

Fortunately, whatever caused that effect squished the high values together at the top, only truly lopping off a relatively few pixels. Those may well be a result of using the relatively low DR E-510 at slightly too high an exposure.

This may be a little overdone for some tastes, or too dark, etc., which could be done differently. But I think it shows how much tonal detail was missing and how it needn't be flat looking. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Nichols/Gulf_Fritillary.htm>

3D Moose