Re: [OM] How to protect yourself from Windows 10

Subject: Re: [OM] How to protect yourself from Windows 10
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 16:34:34 -0400
As far as I know there are no comments to the Slate article. I read Paul Thurrott's article 3 times and most of the comments more than once. Some of those comments support my position. Sorry, I think Thurrot's defense of Microsoft is very weak and mostly incomplete. Note that Thurrott's article is not a direct refutation of the Slate article.

The fundamental fact is that Microsoft has changed their business model to be more like Google or even more like Google than Google. It is their intention to collect vast amounts of personal data and don't tell you about it. There are opt outs provided but most ordinary users won't know about them or be able to find them. But perhaps I'm just a privacy fanatic. I have a Google account but don't use it or gmail. I don't use Facebook or other social media.

I continue to maintain that for the computer users that I support there is very little upside to a Windows 10 conversion. And we haven't even mentioned bugs and incompatibilities yet or Microsoft's diddling with your browser and antivirus apps.

Color me unconvinced,
Chuck Norcutt