Re: [OM] University of New Hampshire Bias Free Language Guide

Subject: Re: [OM] University of New Hampshire Bias Free Language Guide
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 21:04:01 -0700
On 7/31/2015 11:53 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
That said, there seems to be a common thread among our colleges and
universities of squelching certain kinds of speech.

That's what the now ancient Free Speech Movement in Berkeley in the 60s was about. I was there, saw the whole thing, participated peripherally (i.e. no jail time*) and was a bit skeptical of the long term results.

All these years later, the major players dead, I'd say that there has been a pretty decent long term gain in practical freedom of speech on campuses, albeit less than the leaders back then would have wished.

Speaking about students, not faculty, who are embroiled in far more complex local political situations. Freedom to way what one wishes - at the risk of position, promotion, career, is a tricky business.

Free of Speech Moose

* A wise decision, as it turned out, when I later applied to the Coast Guard to avoid the draft and very likely service in Vietnam.