Re: [OM] OT: Telephone Snooping

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Telephone Snooping
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 10:21:27 -0500
What type of phone are you using, Chris?

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 7/21/2015 10:02 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
      I brought this subject up some time ago, and I hadn't given it any further thought
until just this week.  The issue is the suspicion that telemerketers are using some
method where they can listen to your telephone even when it is hung up.  I was reminded
of this while watching a movie "The Conversation" where a surveillance expert
demonstrates a device for doing just that.

      About a week ago, I came home and closed the front door firmly,
immediately after which the telephone rang with a telemarketer on the other
end.  A couple of days later I was sorting out some bicycle parts near the
phone, and immediately after I dropped a part into a can, making a loud noise,
the telephone rang with a telemarketer at the other end.

      I'm a firm believer in Gibbs Rule #39, which says that there is no such
thing as a coincidence.  I've had too many instances where the telephone rings
immediately after maing a loud noise, such as closing a door or making some
other form of loud noise.  This practice of eavesdropping on your phone while
it is hung up to detect if someone is home has got to be grossly illegal.

Chris

      - Hunter S. Thompson