Re: [OM] A reason to like LR (eek!)

Subject: Re: [OM] A reason to like LR (eek!)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 13:30:25 -0700
SG writes:
<<Sorry to hear that Moose and Chris. I wonder if there's a needed
<<pre-requisite when installing on Windows and/or OS/X of which I am not
<<aware. It's too bad, really as there are quite a lot of useful features
<<packed into it for the Linux version.

A quick look suggested Digikam has features that might not be in LR such as
fuzzy search, face detection, and integrated maps for geo-coded photos.

Not sure what "integrated maps" means. The thing I like best so far about LR catalogs is the maps. I love being able to go on the map to a location and see the images I've taken there. A far superior way to look for images by location than any other way when locations are not (as yet?) keyworded. The way it aggregates and disaggregates on the map as it is zoomed in and out is magic.

As a result, I've already geolocated several batches of images that weren't geocoded at the time by dragging and dropping them on the Map View. This is quicker than the Geosetter UI by one step. It's also much quicker than the Picassa UI. Picasa's implementation/connection to their own Maps is just plain clunky.

For places where I have images from before I started geotracking, where I or the device(s) failed, etc., it's just fine to drop the whole batch of images at the entrance or in the middle of the place where they were taken. Takes just a moment and vastly improves searches.

It is basically for Linux and seems to be buggy/slower in any other
environment. I have noted that some dual boot to use it,  but that seems to be
a pain for one program. Perhaps use Virtualbox (free) and use Kubuntu in there.
One might have to activate VT-x
in the BIOS, but don't recall the details--might open up some security issues
as well.  Thinking about it again,   I see why I never had time to get to it.
Perhaps there are other options just as good.

Images less organized than optimal, Mike

My old "system" for location is entries in iCalender. I can look up locations, (although not in any of the Apple apps), note the date(s), then go to those dates for whichever cameras were used in FastStone to see the images. The LR Map View is much faster - and broader, as it includes all dates and all cameras in the one place.

I found the dragonfly images I just posted by remembering where I had taken some good ones and finding them on the map. Several minutes quicker than the other way, especially as I remembered the place name incorrectly.

Where in the World is Moose