Re: [OM] Cornell's website can ID bird species through photos

Subject: Re: [OM] Cornell's website can ID bird species through photos
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 15:10:48 -0400
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Been a bit under the weather of late so could not respond to posts I should
have, or at least felt compelled to respond.

Focused Moose writes:
<<<Moderate softness from diffraction that can be partially corrected with
deconvolution*

Yes, at first blush one would not predict either exact PSF deconvolution as
used by Canyon or blind R-L deconvolution as used in FM would work very well
due to the obliteration of some high freq detail at a hard cutoff from
diffraction which is distinctly different than Gaussian blur.

I did post something to that effect:
http://lists.tako.de/Olympus-OM/2013-02/msg01884.html

Empiric evidence mounting to the contrary , revisited that issue and also
spotted a review by Roger at Lensrentals.

http://lists.tako.de/html/Olympus-OM/2013-05/msg02068.html

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/03/overcoming-my-fentekaphobia

So the Diffraction monster's teeth aren't that long and non-determinate  PSF
deconvolution can still improve the images.
To quote my own post:

As in the pin-hole
example, I neglected to consider that in diffraction softened images
deconvolution sharpening can (with non-determinate PSF's) do increase
detail CONTRAST, though you can't really increase the maximum detail
frequency.

OK to stop down a bit more than originally thought  Mike