Re: [OM] An amazing journey

Subject: Re: [OM] An amazing journey
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2015 17:02:30 -0700
On 7/9/2015 10:21 AM, Mike Lazzari wrote:
Ah, but she looks far more natural and very much prettier when you get
rid of the outrageous highlights and ugly noise.  Perhaps you're just
trying to discourage those guys with the cows.   Just sayin'.
I'm with Chuck on this. Are we seeing a trend here? Take a photo with decent modern gear and make 'em look like you used a crappy old camera? and/or crank up the saturation?

Ah, c'mon now. Dad was doing what we all do, or try to do ...

When Ken first posted these graduation time images, I looked at them both as artistic efforts, annnd really looked at them. Can't help myself, really, the What, Why, etc. engine in my head is largely autonomous. I can choose whether and how to act on it's work, but not whether it will do it.

So here's a theory. DD#1 has a wonderful face, in the macro aspects, lovely shape, nice nose, great eyes, etc. AND it suffers at the moment from a strong case of TASS* So how to capture the nice while downplaying the "not so nice just now"?

This shot is a wonderful solution, mix one of the 'vintage' looks he likes anyway with blown out skin detail, a bit of grain, and presto, a glamor shot. :-)

He also posted others, including this one,where he worked to capture the eyes, while downplaying skin texture. The blow out the skin highlights approach doesn't work very well for me. When this was first posted, I wondered what else might work, and did a bit of playing for my own amusement. I didn't want to go all plastic, but sometimes a plasticizer, used in moderation and selectively as to places and amount, can be quite useful. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/AG/Eyes.htm>

Just an example, anyone might go with a little more or less skin texture, high
key, hair highlights, etc.

Play Full Moose

* Teen Age Skin Scourge

Mike