Re: [OM] B'fly count at Appleton Farm

Subject: Re: [OM] B'fly count at Appleton Farm
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 19:11:30 -0400
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
RB writes:
<<<Is the count down this year, Mike? We're sure not seeing many in our
<<<<Southern Maryland flower garden.

Hard for me to say especially about global numbers outside of my area. I can
say I see no evidence that Monarchs are doing any better.
Seems many are trying to help but planting tropical rather than native milkweed
--trapping them in other breeding sites and infecting them with OE. ( a
protozoan parasite)

http://news.sciencemag.org/biology/2015/01/plan-save-monarch-butterflies-backfires

Dr. Sharon Stichter compliles the data from all the counting groups in MA--she
usually goes to the same count I do, but not this year.

Abundant data about MA is below as compiled by Sharon:

http://www.butterfliesofmassachusetts.net/species%20list.htm#Brushfoots  ---
Nymphalidae

She has published a nice book as well:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Butterflies-Massachusetts-history-future/dp/1492952753

She is dynamite at identifying Skippers in the field--they are generally a bit
drab for me to excited about; afterall I want nice pitchers. ;-)

I can say in our area  Great Spangled Fitillaries are having a very good year
as well as Baltimore Checkerspots.  Have seen suprisingly few Swallowtails of
any sort
and few Pearl Crescents which are normally abundant.   NABA lists counting
groups in several areas in Maryland--on their web site.
I copied the contact info from that site below which looks to be in Southern
Maryland.  One could inquire if so desire.  I doubt they would mind.

Nassawango Creek, MD
(38.2290°, -75.4714°)
Lynn Davidson
534 Broadwater Rd