Re: [OM] IMG: "It's too darn hot"

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: "It's too darn hot"
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2015 15:39:56 -0700
On 7/4/2015 8:52 AM, ChrisB wrote:
Thanks, Mike, I thought as I wrote it that someone might point that out.  But
does the west coast not experience the norms of a continental climate rather
than a maritime?

I don't know the terms. Most of the US West coast has an offshore marine layer (fog/low clouds) pretty much spring through fall. Depending on various factors, particularly inland temps around here, that layer may remain offshore or move in along the coast.

Hereabouts, there is a summer fog cycle. Temps inland rise from the summer sun (often well over 100° F), causing the air to rise, sucking cooler air from coast/ocean inland and providing great wind for turbines at the low points of the coastal ranges. The cooler air slow/stops the upward movement inland, the winds die down, the marine layer recedes, and we get nice, but mostly temperate weather. The cycle varies from about three to six days.

You saw the process right at the coast in the video I posted a few days ago.

Or should I have described the UK’s as a temperate, maritime climate?

What's in a Name Moose