[OM] OT: Yet Another Google Intrusion

Subject: [OM] OT: Yet Another Google Intrusion
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2015 07:47:53 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     Being on dialup when at home, I get to notice a number of things taking
place in background that you might not be aware of when on a high-speed
connection, such as wifi.

     A couple of days ago, I noticed that shortly after I got my dialup
connection the activity indicator would go on solidly even if I wasn't doing
anything, and would go out if I closed Firefox.  This did not happen with IE.
Looking through emails was excruciatingly slow.  I immediately suspected
another malware or virus intrusion, so did a scan.  Nothing.

     I then used Outlook Express (the Microsoft file manager) to see what if
any files had been installed or modified on the hard drive.  I didn't see
anything on the first day, but yesterday there were a number of new folders in
the Documents and Settings folder.  One of these was named "safebrowsing".
Huh?  Never heard of it.

     A quick search with Duckduckgo revealed that it is a Google Toolbar
product that sends any URL you access to Google for evaluation.  OH REALLY?????

     The site:

<http://www.avinashtech.com/disable-google-safe-browsing-firefox/>

provides instructions for disabling safebrowsing.  I went beyond their
instructions and anything labeled as TRUE was toggled to FALSE.  Turns out that
this item has been around for a few years, but it was only installed on my
machine in background in the past few days.  What's curious here is that I just
removed all Google items from my hard drive, but they are still streaming in
and taking over.  I suspect that my Spybot malware utility will soon identify
it as malware and delete it just as it did with Pricebong.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson