Re: [OM] Oh my goodness

Subject: Re: [OM] Oh my goodness
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 13:01:58 -0700
On 6/30/2015 6:15 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:

Pricing is a sore point, or, before I retired, it _was_ a sore point. I
sold prints on metal and canvas. Metal were usually 16x24, unframed, and
canvas tended to be anywhere from 12x18 to 20x30, framed. The frustration
came from colleagues who had the same substrate but priced their images far
below mine. I had a talk with a friend with whom I shared a venue about
this, and she told me she had to price her work according to how all the
other photographers priced their work, because they shared many of the same
show venues.

I understand this point of view, but I don't like it. It's based on a
mass-production mentality. My metal and canvas prints were not mass
produced. I think the most I ever sold of one of my metal was three, and
with canvas, there were one-offs. Best price I got was $900 for a 20x30
framed canvas, sold with the understanding it would be the only canvas
print of that image.

I am avoiding specifics of comparisons between my work and hers, or theirs.

Assuming these are the same local photographers whose prints I've seen in thereabouts, I'm happy to make the comparison. Bob's were significantly finer, to anyone with eyes who cares about photography.

I only have seven, from 5x7 to 15x19, or is there another 5x7 I lost in my mind?

Moose D'Opinion