Re: [OM] Well, Happy Thursday to Me.

Subject: Re: [OM] Well, Happy Thursday to Me.
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 19:40:29 -0400
Reminds me of my own situation in 2000. The small company I worked for then had 200 highly technical people. The private owners wanted to retire and sold the firm to another company whose growth was solely by purchasing other firms. The new owner's first action was to fire the (exactly 100) people who had the highest salaries (me included). What they never seemed to realize is that those people were critical to the success of the company.

The company's business was performance measurement software for applications running on IBM mainframes. What allowed that software to work was embedding hooks into the bowels of the mainframe operating systems to track the operation of the applications. It required intimate knowledge of the internals of the operating systems. These folks were able to do that since most of them were former IBM developers of that same or other operating system software. They had been recruited at great expense and paid high salaries due to their critical skills and knowledge. They were required in perpetuo since IBM made frequent changes to the OS that might break our software.

After a year or so the more junior staff that was left behind after the bloodbath was no longer able to keep up with the changes and the software grew buggy and inefficient. In my opinion the company had died but the death went unannounced. It was entirely predictable that gutting a knowledge based company of its knowledgeable people would not end well.

Chuck Norcutt