Re: [OM] My American Car

Subject: Re: [OM] My American Car
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 11:03:42 -0500
Bob, I have two data points on EU cars. I have owned three Volvos in the past 30 years, and all three were fine cars. I still drive a 2007 Volvo V70.

I bought a used 2000 Cadillac Catera, a GM "program car" from the Detroit area, and which was a rebadged Opel. Though it handled nicely on the road, the passenger-side air conditioning never provided the necessary control to keep my wife comfortable, and, as I attempted to work on that problem, I could see that others had tried to do the same, with no improvement. Also, the extremely heavy doors with strong spring action made exiting very difficult for older folks. In some British TV series that I have watched, I have seen them used as police cars, and they may be fine for that. Frustrated, I traded it for another Volvo.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA