Re: [OM] E-M1 video

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M1 video
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 20:19:17 -0400
All good advice. I used to have VLC a couple of years ago but one day it gave me a headache and got banned from my computers. I presume it's fixed by now but I don't think I'm going to need it.

I also discovered the K-Lite codec pack today and added it to Windows Media Player and, by extension, to Windows Movie Maker. That fixed the .mov problem. .mov is apparently associated with HDTV and I stepped into that problem by selecting full auto for my first video which made and high-res HDTV file. I'd heard of Windows Movie Maker before but never paid it much attention. I think it goes all the way back to Win2000 so it has been around a long time and is pretty well polished.

I have a great deal to learn to use it well but playing with it for a few minutes and watching a few tutorials from Microsoft and on YouTube convinced me it has everything I require to edit and splice videos including the sound channels. It can do a whole lot more than that too (speed up, slow down, fade in, fade out, insert text and still images, etc, etc. According to one reviewer the only thing it can't do is PIP (Picture-In-Picture)

So I think I now have all the tools... but maybe I'm not willing to spend a week or a month learning how to use them.

Chuck Norcutt