Re: [OM] Samyang 18-28/4.0-4.5 Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Samyang 18-28/4.0-4.5 Lens
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 19:15:03 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>> To get real WA for 4/3, about the only choices are Oly's triumvirate of
>> WA zooms, 7-14, 9-18 and 11-22 or the discontinued Sigma 10-20.
>>

>Now that I have the 9-18 I'm certainly using it but not a great deal.
>The 12-50 is what's usually on the camera or the 14-150 if I don't know
>what I'm likely to be facing.

     I looked at a number of MF WA lenses, and I narrowed the choices down to
the Samyang 18-28/4.0-4.5 and the Vivitar 17-28/4.0-4.5.  The Vivitar serial
numbers began with "61", and I could not find anything that would identify the
manufacturer.  Since I was already very happy with the optical performance of
my two Samyang lenses, I narrowed the choice down further to just that one.  It
then became a matter of price and mount.  There was a pair on eBay for $62, but
they both had the Minolta MD mount, which I do not care for due to the flimsy
adapter that leaves the lens cocked at 30-degrees and the need to shorten the
aperture coupling pin.  The one with the Nikon mount showed up this morning,
and I made an offer of $60 total, which was accepted in less than an hour.  Now
I just have to wait for it to arrive.

     I've had a number of instances while hiking in canyons and riparian areas
where a 28mm FL is insufficient, and stitching a few vertical format photos
horizontally simply does not do the scene justice.  I tried 24mm zooms, but
they did not improve the situation much.  Reading a number of blogs (nature and
cityscape photography) led me to understand that 17mm or 18mm was the widest
you could use without experiencing noticeable corner distortion (proper term
here?).  This Samyang lens has 6% distortion at 18mm and 2% distortion at 28mm,
according to the specs I read.  The sample photos I came across on that Flickr
page looked pretty nice.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson