Re: [OM] Of interest perhaps to Indiana Barker and other fliers

Subject: Re: [OM] Of interest perhaps to Indiana Barker and other fliers
From: ChrisB <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 15:12:49 +0100
It is indeed impressive, thanks, John.  He must have an indication of air speed
to be able to flying it safely.  The narrative annoyed me: not only was there
rubbish use of the apostrophe (it’s), but also it wasn’t a “3-point landing”!

Many supersonic jet aircraft have some system like that, Chris.  Normally it
takes the form of a movable ramp inside the intake, but some aircraft, such as
the F16, use another device.  I am guessing but it is probably the shape of the
passage between intake and the front of the engine, although I rather think
that the F16's shape does the trick of arranging for the shock wave to remain
ahead of the intake, so keeping the air into the engine subsonic.

Chris