[OM] Chuck's Lightroom CC startup failure on Windows is resolved

Subject: [OM] Chuck's Lightroom CC startup failure on Windows is resolved
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 10:45:11 -0400
I don't know what might have been placed in the online chat support since I last looked but I spent 1/2 hour on hold with Adobe this morning and then another 10-15 minutes for the support guy to determine that my problem was related to a down-level video driver.

I consider it a bug in Lightroom that it doesn't simply report that the computer doesn't have the right video device driver level installed but that's the case. Since PS and Lightroom now support HDR they now use the GPU on the video card and each requires a given (but different) level of Open GL support. The current level of Open GL is 4.4. PS requires version 3.2 and Lightroom requires 3.3. PS was working for me since my driver was at 3.2 but Lightroom needs something higher. Why? Who knows? Anyhow, after the driver upgrade all is well, except...

Unfortunately, I lost my custom windows desktop settings. I think it was something the support guy did by accident and not just the video driver upgrade. I upgraded the video driver within the past year and didn't have such a problem. I hadn't saved the settings and haven't been able to completely reconstruct it yet. He apologized and tried to help but he was just getting in the way so I declined any further help. I'll the right desktop back eventually.

Chuck Norcutt