Re: [OM] Please remind me why I'm supposed to get excited about the late

Subject: Re: [OM] Please remind me why I'm supposed to get excited about the latest greatest
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 01:51:59 -0500
As I've indicated before, I'm not opposed to the "new/shiny". In my
"day job", I'm very much into the newest and greatest--just finishing
up one MASSIVE planning project for a network design that has to be
sufficient for the next five years. Much tougher than it may sound

Even cellphones are pretty close. Samsung has updated the Note, so I'm
now one generation behind, but the Note3 is still significantly better
in many regards than Apple's latest/greatest so I can wait for a
couple more days. Or weeks. Or months.

We just bought DD#1 a new bass amp/speaker combo thingy. It's one of
those Italian-made, new-fangled cube shaped things with a 15 inch
speaker built in and ports on the back side. We went higher up the
food chain than we really wanted to spend, but the improvement over
older designs made a huge difference. While we could have played it
safe and gone with a tried-and-true, we took the risk (with 30 day
return policy) and went with the new design. So far, we are beyond
impressed and extremely pleased. First performance with it was two
days later, inside a high-school gymnasium. It took three quick
adjustments and we had it tuned to the room and eliminated all the
nasties. I've NEVER experienced anything like that before in over 35
years of running sound. Adding another cab to it would help a little
if the bass isn't running through a sound-reinforcement system and you
have a drummer who kills his drumkit, but for anything "reasonable",
it does well. The song they did for Prom was one of those heavy-metal,
punk-rock cross-over things, and the bass/amp was very solid and
sounded really good. Oh, and this entire cube/amp thingy only weighs
35 pounds, so she's able to haul it around without any problems.

I like my modern technology where it is appropriate. It groused me
when I went to work for that really big communications company,
thinking that I'd be getting even farther advanced than the company I
was working for. Turns out that I stepped back in time by at least
five years. It was curtains when we got a memo that a certain device
was finally "approved for use" in the network. A device that I had
been deploying for 12 years at the other company. But not all
advancements are advancements. For example, VoIP telephone switches
have only one significant improvement over the older digital switches.
Size. This is the first time in the history of telephone where the
technology has gone backwards in comparison to the previous
technology.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx