Re: [OM] IMGs PAW, except ...

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGs PAW, except ...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 12:11:47 -0400
That reminds me of an admonition by photographer Joel Sartore: "Don't forget to pet the whale". Gray whales in Baja seem to enjoy interacting with people and will come up to small boats expecting to be "petted" (as shown here) <http://www.bajadiscovery.com/whale-watching/>

Sartore was on a shoot in Baja for National Geographic to document gray whale behavior. He noticed a large group of Japanese tourists bristling with DSLRs making lots of photos of the whales as they surfaced next to their boat. They got lots of photos of whales and people on other boats petting the whales. But not a one of them ever put their cameras down and petted the whale.

Sartore uses that example to emphasize that you can't fully document an event photographically while also fully participating in it. Don't try to shoot your own wedding or birthday party. :-)

Chuck Norcutt