Re: [OM] "Cool" shot from today

Subject: Re: [OM] "Cool" shot from today
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 19:34:47 -0400
Reminds me of a story about a biologist in the Amazon observing a pair of Harpy eagles from a platform high in the forest canopy. The male took a big disliking to him one day and flew full forceat him and slammed into his chest with talons extended. The talons punctured his chest wall and scratched his heart. He said he was going to continue observing harpy eagles but was going to wear a bullet proof vest in the future.

Chuck Norcutt

Thanks for rubbing  it in. Better his talons stuck in the  snow a few
minutes than going after me.  I am told one of these beasties around
Salisbury (probably  this one is a she) was seen taking out a good
sized duck and in general these owls can take out  even moderate
sized geese.

I recall getting dive bombed by an owl ( top of head scratched)  when
bringing in luggage  from the car into a wonderful cottage we rented
outside of Hobart at about 9PM.  Marnie didn't want to run
interference for me while I retrieved  the rest of the luggage.
Would have deemed it worth it, if could have had a good image out of
the deal.  No clue what type it was.

Frozen Mike

CN writes: <<I think he'd really like to fly but can't lift off since
his talons are <<frozen <<into the snow.  Life is hard in the frozen
north.  :-)

It was quite brisk and
blowing today especially in the Salisbury Reserve area on the beach.
Never
had a shot of a Snowy Owl before,  heard they were out, and spotted
one.  Needed to keep SS up despite my largest pod
due to the wind. Yes , that is snow
(sigh).

http://www.olyendomike.com/Other/Snowy-Ow-l/48436562_JtJDBv#!i=3974766908&k=32VTZGS&lb=1&s=XL

No defrost, Mike