Re: [OM] Our own little gator

Subject: Re: [OM] Our own little gator
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2015 13:02:55 -0400
My youngest grandchild is 11 and in no danger from a 4 foot gator. But by the time these guys reach about 6 feet they could be a threat to a person smaller than that. They could likely get that big in 2-4 years. Thinking ahead, I checked SC law this morning regarding removal of nuisance gators and found SC law is much different from Florida law.

In Florida a nuisance gator must be removed by a licensed trapper. Most folks think the gator is relocated but that's not true. Florida recruits the trappers but doesn't pay them anything and their payment is that they get to keep the gator. That assures that the gator will be killed for its meat and hide... but out of sight of the homeowner. In Florida, capture is by non-lethal means.

In SC the homeowner (or homeowner's association if on common property) makes the decision about whether the gator is a nuisance or not. SC expects you or your hired trapped to kill them since it considers (like Florida) that relocation is ineffective. Gators are territorial. If they survive being placed in a larger gator's territory they will eventually find their way back to their own.

Most folks get upset when they realize that the gator is a goner if considered a nuisance gator. But that is the way it works.

Chuck Norcutt