Re: [OM] Velbon VS-433D tripod query

Subject: Re: [OM] Velbon VS-433D tripod query
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 22:46:00 -0700
On 3/24/2015 5:24 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
Anybody got one of these or something similar? We recently went to the local sculpture gardens <http://www.brookgreen.org/> and I can tell I'm going to be spending a lot more time there with my camera. While there I spotted a fellow photog who was carrying a Velbon VS-443D tripod. He said he loved it. I handled it no more than picking it up briefly but I was intrigued by it. It's light weight (4 lbs) and very versatile with its tilting, geared center column and low-to-the-ground capability for macro. I have a 400 pound, very versatile Manfrotto beast and a very light travel tripod that isn't versatile. I could use something in between very much like this. The B&H reviews are quite positive with only some minor reservations about the included ball head and concern about the durability of the plastic leg locks.

Velbon VS-443D 4-Section Aluminum Versatile Tripod
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/818935-REG/Velbon_VS_443D_VS_443D_4_Section_Aluminum_Versatile.html>

The Manfrotto 190cx3Pro tripod I have is very similar in size, etc. It doesn't have the Quick Power Lock legs or Easy Link Plug of the model that has replaced it: <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1010692-REG/manfrotto_mt190cxpro3_190cxpro3_carbon_fiber_tripod.html>

OTOH, by my scale, it weighs 2# 13.5oz. vs. the listed 3.5# of the new model. Mine is CF, with magnesium castings, as is the new one, so I don't know where the extra 14 oz come from. (I guess the MT designation added to identify the new model is 'Manfrotto Tripod' or 'Magnesium Tripod'?) I'm also a bit shocked by the price of the new model. I don't recall paying that much.

Looking at the Velbon, there are a couple of things I don't much like. I just don't think I would be happy with the off center 'center' column and head.. The Manfrotto manages to have a center column that can pull most of the way out, then go horizontal and lock securely at any extension. It's an odd design, that doesn't look like it does any such thing, but works very well. I ran in to a photographer using one at a Botanic Garden, who didn't even know it does that.

Another biggish thing for me is the three vs. four section legs. Inherently a little more stable and three fewer locks to flip. I imagine the new Manfrotto has some kind of ganged clicking open? Because of the somewhat awkward column design of the Velbon, even with more leg sections for the same height, it folds to about the same length.

My third concern is the aluminum legs. I know, I know, they aren't much heavier than CF, and are cheaper. To me, it's not about the weight nearly as much as about vibrations. The metal lens seem to amplify vibrations, while the VF legs seem to damp them. Put up an aluminum tripod is a nice breeze, and it may 'sing'. CF doesn't. (My 15# aluminum Manfrotto with two section legs that raise the camera above my head doesn't have that problem, but it's a beast.)

The Manfrotto also gets down lower to the ground. I can say from experience that I have quite liked the Manfrotto in use in the field. Going µ4/3 has changed that; I use a lighter tripod for travel/field and the 190cx3Pro mostly does duty at home and in the yard.

The Velbon clamshell heads like the one in this package have worked well for me in different sizes. Their practical load bearing capacity is above what one would expect when compared in size and weight to other brands. I have an older model on the 190 and a lighter, newish model on my travel tripod. The downside of the head in this Velbon package is that is uses one of their unique to them QR plates.

Mike mentions his travel tripod in another reply. He and I have compared our
travel tripods side by side.

Moose and I had a travel 'pod feature contest on my kitchen counter with Trappist ales in hand. He has this one, IIRC esp for use with MFT kits. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/769662-REG/Velbon_UT_45L_UT_45L_6_Section_Aluminum.html It still folds up to be very compact with larger diam legs--I think more stable. The write-ups don't mention it, but one can get very looow with it by putting the ctr col in upside down--less of an issue these days with remote control from phone or tablet.

He's right except that I have the model that includes a ball head with built-in QR for the small, metal Velbon plates, which I generally use, rather than the pan head.* His tripod model fits Arca-Swiss style plates. I was using those for the 5D and 60D, but have gone to the smaller, lighter little Velbons for µ4/3

Each has pros and cons, each of us is happy with what we have. They are very similar. I prefer the quick open and collapse legs of mine, but can see where good manual dexterity and sense of touch are a help and they might be annoying or awkward for some folks. Twist locks on his are quite a bit slower to set up and take down. You'd think they would be more stable/sturdy than the Velbons, but his memory agrees with mine, the those on the Velbon seemed slightly better. Certainly the twist locks are likely to stand up better to heavy use/abuse.

Here's a review of the UT 43D, the same legs with a different head that illustrates how it works and how flexibly it may be set up for different things. <http://www.ephotozine.com/article/velbon-ultrek-ut-43d-tripod-review-16820>

My first CF tripod was a Velbon, heavy and slow with four section twist lock legs, compared to the Manfrotto 190, but very well made. It now carries the 410 geared head.

So, I like Velbon, with two out of my last three tripods and their smallest QR system, but I don't think I'd be happy with the odd set-up of this one. OTOH, you've played with it, and it is a lot cheaper.

Tres Pes Moose

* Or did I buy the UT45L and replace the head with a 41Q? That could be it.