Re: [OM] OT: wiring a Cat 5 cable to a wall plate

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: wiring a Cat 5 cable to a wall plate
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 12:29:15 -0800
Verizon has been very active in installing FiOS here in California. I've
lived in two different locations with it. At the first, there was no
service installed at all when we moved in. Verizon offered FiOS in the
area, and we called, placed an order, and they quite promptly installed it.
I was home the day the installed, and they used some sort of burrowing
device to bring the fiber from their nearest box all the way to the house.
It's fiber all the way, no copper whatsoever until inside the premises.

At the second location, fiber for FiOS was already installed, and when we
ordered a higher speed than that for which the house was already
provisioned, they came out and replaced the existing fiber termination box
and router at no additional charge to us. Transmission speeds are symmetric
and available up to 300Mbits (perhaps even 500Mbits) here; currently we
chose only to pay for 50Mbits, If I remember correctly. We had previously
been on 150Mbits but couldn't negotiate a reasonable rate to continue it at
the end of contract as we'll be moving before a new 2-years contract would
expire.

I don't know what the criteria are for Verizon cabling a given area, but I
can tell you that they are aggressive in installing fiber even in existing
developments. The first location referenced above was built out in the late
1960s or early '70s, and this location was built about a decade later. I
could be quite off in those numbers, but it remains true that both areas
could not have been originally provisioned with anything but copper, yet
Verizon apparently finds it cost effective to run new fiber to them any way.

My understanding is that FiOS uses PON (Passive Optical Networking) which
allows a single single-mode fiber cable to carry as many as 32 premises,
which are then split out to individual homes on a single strand of glass
for each.