Re: [OM] Blue and Black or white and gold?

Subject: Re: [OM] Blue and Black or white and gold?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 10:58:00 -0600
> Now unless you can develop become colourblindness later in life its one
> thing that I am definately not, I did an apprenticeship with British
Telecom
> (the main telco in the UK) and went through extensive colour blindness
> testing during the selection process, you can't really have colour blind
> technicians joining colour coded cables.

Ah, but that's why we have management and engineer positions.

Speaking of this topic. Last year, the big honkin telco that I work for had
a major cable cut in a downtown part of a capital city. The moron with a
backhoe managed to dig up a 6000 pair air-core cable that was encased in
six inches of concrete. This particular cable dated back to 1963. All the
wires were paper-wrap with no color or number coding. Each one had to be
toned out with three technicians working together on each wire one at a
time.

Imagine for a second...

Splicing 12000 wires one wire at a time. Fortunately, they were wrapped
into groups, but still.... We flew in splicers and techs from all over the
country to fix that one.

AG