Re: [OM] Speaking of Adaptors

Subject: Re: [OM] Speaking of Adaptors
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 06:48:46 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>I think following the design of a side-pinch lens cap would be very
>difficult.  If you look at the underside you'll see that much of the
>real-estate is occupied by the spring and slide mechanism.

     That's pretty much for the convenience of designing with plastic parts.  A
much more compact one could be made using a single turn of spring steel along
the inside of the ring..

>I think more valuable would be a bayonet mount for filters.  I can't
>recall which camera/lens maker made such things but I think such have
>been used in the past.  From things you've said here before I think
>you're something of a machinist and probably have (at least) a metal
>lathe.  How about a 2-part adapter: the lens side consists of male
>threads to the lens on the back side and a thin, larger diameter plate
>topped with female bayonet flanges on the front side.

     I have a design in mind that would begin with the ring from a suitable
size filter, machining off the male (lens side) threads, machining a groove
along the inside for the spring, then devising the pinch mechanism.  There's
all sorts of low-quality filters on evilBay that I could use for this.

     And I just thought of something far simpler.  :{D

     Looks like it's sketchpad time!

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson