Re: [OM] [OT] Proper Word Use

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Proper Word Use
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 10:42:48 -0500
The dictionary that pops up when I highlight a word on my Mac says for dank:

dank |daNGk| adjective
disagreeably damp, musty, and typically cold.
DERIVATIVES
dankly adverb.
dankness noun
ORIGIN Middle English: probably ofScandinavian origin and related to
Swedishdank ‘marshy spot.’
I tend to think of some basements as being dank. Seldom, if ever, have I used
the word as a direct description of weather. In days gone by during my youthful
explorations of the mountains of Western North Carolina, I might have escaped a
maddening and ongoing drizzle by ducking into a natural rock shelter. The
shelter might be dank, musty, etc., but not the weather outside it. Hope this
is slightly clearer than mud. I do think that if I saw the above mentioned
adverb— dankly—I might collapse with laughter, which, I suspect, would not be
what the writer intended.
But then I’m not sure I would have subtracted points from a pupil’s paper for
using it as your daughter did. Instead, I might have written a note in the
margin explaining distinctions as I understood them.
—Bob Whitmire
Certified Neanderthal