Re: [OM] Off topic batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] Off topic batteries
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 12:20:08 -0600
> Exactly. Today's vehicles are more rolling consumer electronics hubs than
> anything. A lot more constant demands on the battery.

Agreed. This vehicle should probably have its one nuclear power plant
hooked up to it. Lights turning on, lights turning off. Lights on the
bottom of the mirrors to light the way in the dark when you get in or
out of the car. Heated mirrors, dimming mirrors. Auto sense
headlights. High-powered marker lights and "angel eyes". Stereo,
heated seats, power seats that move on their own. Locks, and a auto
latching rear hatch. Oh, and my USB adaptors...

When parked and locked, the alarm system is active, as well as all
those other things you mentioned, like clocks and other volutile
memory things.

Speaking of, my attempt at keeping the power on by using a lifeboat
battery didn't work. Turns out that I was mislead about the jumper
cable connections. There is a circuit that prevents an external
battery from powering the "grid" when the main battery is
disconnected. Oh well.

On a positive note, this reset the engine/transmission computer and it
went back into default mode until it learns my driving habits again.
This default mode is the show-room floor demo drive setting. It'll
snap your neck in accelleration. On my drive to work, once I get out
of my side street, it's a non-stop two-lane county road drive to the
first stop sign about 15 miles up the road. This gave it ample time to
warm up, but not long enough to have mushed the acceleration up yet. I
jumped on the throttle and the traction control warning light came on
for first, second AND third gears. By that time, I'm pretty sure I
exceeded every speed limit in the USA.

:)

Yeah, I had my fun for the month. Back to normal driving now...

AG