Re: [OM] (OT) Travel Insurance Knowledge

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Travel Insurance Knowledge
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 10:05:05 -0800
Bob, My wife researched the heck out of everything for our recent trip including trip insurance. Our homeowner's insurance doesn't cover much. I was able to schedule my camera gear but they won't do phones or computers beyond the basic. Our health insurance is pretty useless out of the country too. Heath coverage is important as we found out (that's another story) and may be overlooked. She went with Worldwide Trip Protector travelinsured.com. The reviews from people _who actually used it_ were the best. We got a Choice visa which has the best car rental insurance. However the interest rate is horrible so we set up payment ahead of time so we didn't carry over a balance. Also it's not chipped and won't work in ticket kiosks etc. which is a pain for the trains. Most places take non-chipped cards but it is a bit more hassle and we had to wait for the manager to process a few times. Since you are buying trip cancellation insurance the coverage is cheaper if purchased nearer to departure date. Less exposure for the insurer. YMMV but this is one place that far advance purchase isn't necessarily the best.

A good review site. squaremouth.com

Don't have time to go into more details but PM for more info if you want.

Mike