Re: [OM] (OT) Travel Insurance Knowledge

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Travel Insurance Knowledge
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 20:13:33 +0100
This is somewhat relevant to me, because last weekend, I was in Barcelona with
my visiting friend from Denmark; we used his rental car. During the day on
Sunday, someone broke into the car and stole my backpack containing my laptop
and iPad. My homeowners insurance only covers such losses up to 200 Euro, so
that’s what I got. This made me look at other potential coverages I might have,
e.g. through American Express, but that only kicks in if you are travelling by
air or other public transport for which you paid with the card; and theft is
anyway only covered if you have a Gold or Platinum card, and I have just the
working-class Green one.

I think if you travel by car, whether rented or your own, you are out of luck
most of the time. However, the company that over the years has given me the
best service in general is indeed Amex. So you may want to look at their
insurance options and upgrade to one of the fancier cards—the increased
membership fee may well be cheaper than special insurance, especially if you
travel a lot.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman