Re: [OM] OT: Culinary Rant

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Culinary Rant
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 08:51:34 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Your first problem is that Dairy Queen is not ice cream. It's ice milk. Or,
>more commonly, soft-serve. Much lower butterfat content. In fact, as a
>matter of corporate culture, it's referred to as "DQ", as in vanilla DQ and
>chocolate DQ.

     Yes, I knew that it's not ice cream.  I was thinking in the general sense
of frozen dairy confections.

>Secondly, that must be the franchise owner's choice. DQ most definitely
>offers chocolate. I managed two of them for years, so I know.

     Then this one is an insult to American culture.  I certainly won't enter
that one ever again.

     When I lived in west Texas, every town had a Dairy Queen.  I still have a
vivid memory of stopping at the one in Ranger, where I encountered a sheriff's
deputy who wore a large revolver in a heavily engraved holster, my introduction
to life in west Texas.  In Big Spring, we also had Wagon Wheel drive-ins, which
are virtually identical to the more common Sonic drive-ins.  The nearest
McDonald's was hours away in Lubbock.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson