Re: [OM] OT: Recent debate on crop v FF - Mosse

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Recent debate on crop v FF - Mosse
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 11:35:30 -0500

Just a couple follow up comments. Curiously (perhaps not) I did the same calculation when looking at Fuji with Xtrans in regards to ACR and DXO--my two fave converters. ACR at the time was terrible with the files but has since improved. C1, Photoninja and my previously linked converters are better than ACR and allow for some degree of control of balance of more detail with the odd chroma smearing "water color effect" or less chroma noise with less detail. Here is one illustrative example I found--hope the link is OK.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5540407/PNmoire.jpg

That be said, this is pixel peeping at high mag and does not appear to effect most modest sized prints(reportedly print very nicely) or most web images. This issue seems baked into the Xtrans design, though we'll see if the software evolves enough to make it less an issue. DXO in their forum stated they had no stomach to invest the time necessary to totally redo their software which in no way supports Xtrans. They made a business decision that at this time it has not been worth the substantial time investment to rewrite their software. Personally I don't have time to learn to optimally use a new converter (that might not be around) if other easier/reasonable options are present.

The Moose is well known to be more adaptable with cam ergonomic challanges than most--not a bad thing. The nice mechanical controls for the most used adjustments just make Fuji 's pleasant to use, IMO even with my limited handling of them. One can at least get a good idea of the rendering of the lenses looking at enough high res images on the web and pixel peeping. I certainly don't know the nuances of the strengths and weaknesses like with BigFoot, or the CV 180 Apo Lanthar or even the Z 85/2 for examples. The Fuji 56/1.2 looks like a real corker as does the MFT equivalent, the 42.5 Nocticron--perhaps the bokeh King of MFT--not everyones cuppa given the size/price. I should let the Fuji users comment more
on this though.

http://admiringlight.com/blog/fuji-56mm-f1-2-vs-panasonic-leica-42-5mm-f1-2-nocticron/

Mike