Re: [OM] OT: Recent debate on crop v FF - Mosse

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Recent debate on crop v FF - Mosse
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 22:42:40 -0500
Comparative Moose writes:
For all but very large, perfectly executed display sizes, there's no
practical difference. From a processing standpoint, I find the Oly files easier to get right.

Indeed a very nice analysis--hats off to CM--thanks.

One other thing that I think has been mentioned of why Bayer files can be easier to get right: Color filter arrays (CFA) have trade offs by nature. Xtrans designed so the "green" raw channel has more coverage but less positional symmetry than in a Bayer sensor and as a direct result there is less high-frequency luminance "miscalculations" in the interpolation, giving lower noise in raw conversion-(thus placing a premium on performance at high ISO's over base ISO). The larger B to B and R to R distances necessitate a large chroma smoothing radius resulting in "watercolor" effects or artifacts--balance seems different with different converters. Accuraw allows one to adjust the balance though have never used it and have not looked into this issue for well over 6mos.

https://sites.google.com/site/accuraw/

That be said the ergonomics and appearance of the Fuji's are often wonderful and the lenses usually have superb rendering as well.

Wish I were smitten by Xtrans, Mike