Re: [OM] Californians are weather weenies

Subject: Re: [OM] Californians are weather weenies
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2015 19:22:45 -0500
I'm often confused these days.  Nothing new.

Chuck Norcutt

On 1/3/2015 6:06 PM, Moose wrote:
On 1/3/2015 12:56 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
Oh, my!  The uncorrected 12-50 looks like a barrel of beer. I think I
will just learn to accept the corrections applied by ACR and add a
little final twist if necessary.

Oh, my again!  I just looked at the full size image I uploaded taken
with the 9-18.  At 100% there's a lot of red chroma on white vertical
edges starting about 80% out from center.  That obviously didn't get
corrected in the raw processing.  I'll have to watch for that in
images where it matters.

The whole CA correction thing with µ4/3 is confusing. Panny has always
corrected CA in-camera for JPEGs and puts distortion and CA correction
data in EXIF. ACR has a note for RW2 files that it is applying
distortion and CA correction from the Raw file. For ORF files, the note
only refers to distortion data.

Oly never got on the CA correction bandwagon - until very recently. A
quick search shows lots of confusion as to how the E-M1 and E-M10 do it
for JPEGs. Seems most likely to be in camera image evaluation, as it
works for Panny lenses, too.
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-om-d-e-m1/12> That's apparently
how Nikon does it.

Perhaps that could be your last straw reason to get an E-M1.
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-om-d-e-m1/12> Except, it
doesn't seem to be available for Raw files ... So, it mostly seems we
Raw file users with Oly lenses are stuck correcting in our converters or
editors.

Confused enough yet?

Confused Aberrant Moose