Re: [OM] OT: Phoenix Weather

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Phoenix Weather
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2015 11:13:14 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>      We had snow flurries in downtown Phoenix last night, and there was
>> snow sticking to the ground in Cave Creek and Peoria.  We have a freeze
>> warning in effect for tonight, and next week we'll be in the 70s.
>>

>3 inches of snow the night of the 30th in the area of Temecula, CA. Last
>night dropped below freezing here in San Felipe, Baja (about 125 miles
>south of the border from Calexico, CA); the temp was 31F (0.5C) when I
>checked at 7 this morning, and is now only 52F (11C).

     It's certainly a significant system that's passing through here now.
We've had stronger ones, but widespread ones such as this one are not common.
Jast one was a few years ago that consisted of a similar flow of Arctic air
from Hudson Bay.

     Getting my house heat to work has been quite an experience.  I've had to
replace two circuit breakers, one probably original equipment from 1965.  It
still malfunctions when the outside temperature is below a certain threshold.
That does not surprise me as this is the first time I've ever used it.  Got it
working properly around 10:30 this morning and I'm slowly getting the
temperature up to 60F.

     While not attending to the heating I've been repairing a 1980's vintage
Toshiba SMD-5560 stereo that I picked up in a thrift store for $15.  Hardly a
scratch on it, and all that was wrong with it was the tuning mechanism was
seized.  Got the seizure taken care of, now I'm just waiting for some dial cord
to arrive in the mail.  Couldn't even find the usual substitute of braided
fishing line to repair that.  Another gold star for evilBay.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson