Re: [OM] Formatting card from computer

Subject: Re: [OM] Formatting card from computer
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2014 19:24:57 -0800
On 12/27/2014 6:34 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
<snip lots of useful stuff> If there are errors these will be noted and the defective areas marked so as not to use them in the future. The first time I ever use any drive or flash card I format it in the computer first and do a normal format to test and verify it.

I don't think this is of use with an SD card. The card has its own internal controller, which remaps physical memory to what it shows the outside world. It's supposed to both map out bad locations, as they develop, and level usage, so that 'wear' is evenly distributed.

This is all to deal with the fact that the memory has a limited number of read/write cycles before starting to produce errors. I think it makes a full, conventional computer based format meaningless.

Also, the SD Association says that regular formatting on a computer is actually bad for SD cards, and offers a free formatting utility that I have on my computers. <https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/>

But basically, I just format in the cameras, if I remember to when the card is
new, and when I reuse a card.

But if it to be used in a camera the camera should be allowed to reformat it before its used since the camera ads some data of its own such as a few fixed name file folders.

They seem to create those anyway, in my admittedly limited experience with
Canon, Oly and Panny cameras.

What A. Card Moose