Re: [OM] How to photograph the eye

Subject: Re: [OM] How to photograph the eye
From: Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 23:37:03 -0800
Not sure why a number of pix in the link seem to be almost monochrome?

Was he using some monochrome light souce or were they really that color?
The animal eye pix are even more interesting in terms of non-circular pupils,
some with very irregular edges.

Maybe they have some advantage in detecting movement or making the resolution
vary with orientation,reducing the effect of sun on contrast etc?

https://www.behance.net/gallery/2123112/Animal-eyes

https://www.behance.net/gallery/7939489/Animal-eyes-2
https://www.behance.net/gallery/18351045/Animal-eyes-3
Wikipedia has a good discussion of speculative relationship as to why different
activities and species have different pupil shapes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pupil
Seems like if you are predator or night hunter more likely to have vertical
slit, if you are prey then horizontal slit.

Some Cats have round and some slit pupils, so not species dependent necessarily.

Just think of the bokeh from some of those pupils! That may help a prey animal
or predator detect movement in periphery ?

Maybe a large polystyrene food container over a flash would make a nice
diffuser for this kind of photography or a led ringlight.

It might also be a point source a distance away is better than a diffuse
source, as it will show the structure better, because of tiny shadows?

Tim