Re: [OM] (OT) Field Glasses recommendations

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Field Glasses recommendations
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 20:57:40 -0800
On 12/23/2014 5:09 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
I have a pair of those Pentax thingies probably because you recommended them sometime in the past. My biggest problem is that I forget that I have them or else can't find them (they are small).

Small and light with minimal optical compromise is the point, for me. They add little to the bag and I have carried them around my neck along with two cameras without difficulty. And I always know where they are if not around my neck - in the camera bag!

I've occasionally loaned them to someone walking with us, but then they go
right back to their home.

My biggest difficulty in using them is that the interpupillary distance changes when you fold them up to put them in their little bag. When I take them out again I'm constantly fiddling with them getting the interpupillary distance right again and they have no scale you can reference to set them like larger binocs.

Ah well, there are differences in how people interact with their stuff. I've never had a problem with that. I just pull them open until they are right, which I don't find difficult. Not just on these, but on all the various binoculars I have and have had, I've never paid attention to the those markings on those with them.

I AM in love with the twist up/down eye cups. I know many contemporary models have that, but the Pentaxes are the first I've owned to have them. What with the long eye relief, they are good with my glasses on. All my other good binoculars have had rubber things that require rolling down to use them with my glasses on. Time consuming and annoying and the rubber ages and wears. (Even on Leitz! ;-) )

Easy on the Eyes Moose