Re: [OM] Paphiopedilum Orchid focus stack

Subject: Re: [OM] Paphiopedilum Orchid focus stack
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 22:33:29 -0500
The images are aligned and resized as necessary by the software. Almost always moving the cam on a rail will lead to less change in mag and somewhat less trouble with alignment but the software these days is very good. Then after that is done there are a number of stacking algorithms to sort out what parts to keep. Overlapping bristly type structures can wreak havoc. The " pyramid” method is very good at finding and preserving detail even in low contrast or slightly blurred areas. It's also very good at handling overlapping structures like mats of hair and crisscrossing bristles, nicely avoiding the loss-of-detail halos --which still can occur and require labor intensive clean up in post in PS. The pyramid methods tends to increase noise and contrast, and it can alter colors somewhat. This algorithm in the version of Combine Z I have no longer works--I think it has been updated once but the 64 bit version is still not available.

There are also “depth map” methods. They a better job keeping the original smoothness and colors, but it's not as good at finding and preserving detail.

One can control how the "seams" are handled in most of the software (I don't think it is adjustable in PS though). I tend to keep the areas a bit softer to avoid extra work in cleaning them up, unless I think a lurking pixel peeping Moose is going to scrutinize the image and really see how the sausage is made--then one can keep the areas sharp and clone out the areas that look like a sharp margin is present. It can take a long time and I didn't have time today to work towards an image that could withstand that degree of scrutiny. I hope at viewing size it is acceptable.

Sometimes fewer shots can be better if done correctly, especially with landscapes. I have even tried to focus stack a few shots using my Mirex tilt-shift adapter (for OM) when I didn't think one shot would do. Zerene stacker software site says this app is good, but I have never seen much else mentioned about it.

http://www.georgedouvos.com/douvos/Focus_Stacking_in_Landscape_and_Architectural_Photography.html

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/focusstacker/id648686483?mt=8

Bottom line, focus stacking can be very very useful for macro and fun as well.

Stacking 'em, Mike

Why would / how could ........... four images, one on top of each other,
be superior to a carefully taken single image of the same object ? The
object's slightest movement would surely have upset the clarity of the
final sandwiched images ?

jh

This may help explain. Here is a series of photos with different focal points and the resulting image stack. With something as small as an N-scale engine, you can't get the whole thing in focus and still have it large in the frame.

http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=58021&;

Steve Troy