Re: [OM] Cuba?

Subject: Re: [OM] Cuba?
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 19:51:51 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Indeed, Chris.  When I was based at MacDill I tried to plan a pairs trip to
>Puerto Rico and made the
>mistake of routeing near Cuba.  I was the butt of much merry banter on the
>squadron.  I couldn’t
>believe that the half-baked blockade persisted, even then.

     Once a year we would go to Ft. Campbell and take them to a drop site at
the Caribbean end of the Panama Canal.  We would have to go around the far west
end of Cuba, passing through Cuban ATC airspace.  It felt strange talking with
a Cuban controller.

     I occasionally get into a conversation with Arni Coro at Radio Habana,
usually about vacuum tubes or small antennas.  Years ago he put me in touch
with a Cuban broadcast engineer who helped me put together a PDF copy of a
Soviet/Russian text on active antennas.  He had once owned a copy.  He also
translated a few illustration captions for me so I could comprehend what was
being described.

     In all, I have nothing but good experiences with Cuban nationals.

     I'm compelled to get one of their cigars and enjoy seeing the last icon of
the Cold War come to an end.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson